Monday, March 1, 2010

Magnus B. Magnus

Magnus B. Magnus was born November 16, 1912 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. His parents were Björn Magnusson and Ingibjörg Hordal Thorsteinsdottir, whose families were part of the original Icelandic immigrants to Canada.

Magnus wrote about his trapping life from the years 1923-1935. He wrote in the forward of his memories "My inoculation with the serum of the wilderness was at the tender age of five, when Dad preparing to go hunting or trapping, or in cleaning for his guns, used to hold his heavy old 45-70 Marlin across his knee and allow me to "dry shoot", instructing me on holding and sighting in. "

 "I lived for the day when I too would own a gun and hunt. At the age of nine, I got my wish, a Hamilton 22 breakdown single shot, and my hunting days started." In the years that followed, Magnus continued to love the wilderness, and spent many days with his father hunting and trapping in Canada's north. While on the trails, he would carve, and later in life, he took to painting about his life in the North.

Magnus wrote many stories about his times trapping and hunting. Over time, some of these stories will be told here.

In 1939, Magnus married Annie Elizabeth Cobb of Clarkleigh, Manitoba. They settled in Keewatin, Ontario and raised their four children. (Margaret, Dianne, Mark and Brian).  Later Magnus and Annie moved to British Columbia. After Annie passed away in 1989, Magnus remarried Constanance. Magnus passed way March 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment